Jump directly:

- A +

A yearly walk 1.4.3

      1. A yearly walk (=Schnadezüge)

Some hundred years ago village people used to walk round their territories to control the landmarks. They made sure that the boundary borders were all right. In those times there happened to be quarrels on the borders. To avoid them, the inhabitants marked certain points, trees, hollows, hills or stones.

Men, half-grown guys and boys stepped along the frontiers together to get to know where the marked points had to be. Unfortunately quarrel might happen between the representative towns´or villages´walkers, and to keep those struggles low, the county or district noblemen forbade the walks. If they woul not, permitted them under strict conditions.

Today “Schnadezüge” have become as popular as little feasts. Until now there are no official minutes taken down by the representatives from Bömighausen, however representatives from the nearest villages Neerdar, Schweinsbühl and Rhena were mentioned. Here are excepts from the minutes of Neerdar and Rhena.

 Some parts out of a „Schnadezug" report touching the borders of Rhena (Sept.9th, 1972)

Border touching Bömighausen, the way it has been described against Schweinsbühl:
...by the bush right hand straight away to "Wächtler´s Neck" and ahead to the top of ox back. From there down the hill on Neerdar Lane to the "Kahlen Graben". Down the digging between" Obenlohe" and "Wirbelscheid" just to reach the "Rhensche and Bömighäusische Ahrenscheid" and in the canyon between both. Up the hills, down by the "Bömighäusischen Ahrenscheid" to the "Salt Mölle", from there down Neerdar Creek to the gallow crossing the "Burgwiesen" (meadows belonging to the castle) where the route leads to Welleringhausen and Usseln. From the gallow down the creek until that point where the Rhene floats into the Nerder. Then climb up the hill (called Alleringhausen Castle) again until Bernthal (=Bernvalley) and further through the fields up to the route to Welleringhausen , by the "Saltzborn" (=Salty Well), and so on to the "Wipperberg" (Berg= hill) until the "Alten Teich (=Old Pond) is reached. ...
Dealing with the fishing rights one can read (Sept. 10th, 1672): "The inhabitants of Rhena own the rights to fish in the Rhene, just to the Neerdar , then up the Neerder to the gallow, where the lane leads from Korbach to Welleringhausen and Usseln."
The fishing rights for that part of the Neerder weren´t given by the count to the noblemen of Rhena (STAM 115.6.18).

Report on the „Schnadezug" for Neerdar Community done on June 4th, 1841

After Nerdar village had got a permit(on Aug. 13th, 1840) to go for a control walk to inspect the community borders by the principality, the Waldeccian Forest Chamber of the principality was informed, and forester Schnedler and his chief, Mr.Contze, as well, they had to control if everything went orderly.
...From here in front of the"Grütmel", where there was a stone to be set aside the footpath to Bömighausen. Some men had to bear the "stutzen" (maybe crop, lop,... = an ancient ritus: the newcomers are forced to sit on the stone or in a hole that is dug to take in the stone to make them remember where those stone marks are deposited. The cropped ones were: Friedrich Emde, Henrich Bangert, Wilhelm Saure und Henrich Zölzer.
Now den Bömighausen footpath down the"Grütmel" to the footpath leading to Flechtdorf. Below the" Grütmel" above the forest" Rechen" where another stone was to be set and a hole was dug.....
Then the company moved up the scabby side to the „Sprenzenberg´s"summerside, close to the bushes by Christian Emden´s and judge Becker ´s land which belonged to Schweisbühl (= name of a village.) Some people living there protested against the route being too close to their area.
Judge Kalhöfer, elderman Emden, Rüger Bruchhäuser und Christian Schalk left here.
...Then they went to a place where a stone had to be set because of an agreement between Kahlhöfer´s and Potthof´s cleared woodland.They continued walking through the wood, down the "Werbelscheid" , to the pastorate- grassland jn the "weißen Brüchen" to juge Emde´s "Wehr",avoiding the grassland near the border to Neerdar. At last they arrived at the centre of the Church meadow. Between this area and the lane had to be set a stone, then the meadow was crossed directly to "Schüttler´s Kirchenland (=churchland) Between Schüttler´s and miller Behlen´s land a stone was set.A hole was dug, and Henrich Schüttler, Anton Emde und Henrich Becker were" cropped".
Up the hill to the bush on the "Lünn" between Zölzer´s and Behlen´s land, where also a stone was set. Further to Knippschild Küthen´s loanland (Welleringhausen) from that point to the "Ständer", up in front of the "Ständer". On top of the "Ständer" there stood a stone that was hurt. However, the letter "N" was still readable. Here in this place they met the representatives of Welleringhausen: Judge Behle, econony revisor Eierding and markmaster Fr. Schüttler. He was responsible for the border- marks.
Finally they moved on towards the "großen Berle", to a bush near Johannes Wilhelm Knippschild´s and Christian Butterweck´s land,too. It was constated that the stone was missed between the border of Bömighausen, Neerdar and Welleringhausen, and the decision to put another stone in was made.
Here is the final signet of the principal office being responsible:
Ut supra. Fürstl. Waldeck. Ober- Justizamt des Eisenbergs gez. E. Hagemann R. Rube.

"Schnadezug" Rhene on July 04 th, 1803

..... After they had rested at the corner of the" Werbel Scheid" and the" kalten Grabens" (=cold digging) the men from Schweinsbühl (village´s name) left. They remembered the recession from 1725 and 27(here: border corrections) and left under protest, and the men from Bömighausen came instead. The following persons took part: Judge Kahlhöfer 60 years old, miller Matth. Behle, 62. y, Joh. Henr. Schalk , 38. years and Matth. Klein, 40 years old.
At the Werbelscheid´s corner they found three old lads, and they got some refreshment.
Now they marched to the" Kalten Graben",down to the grassland in Bre-valley, then further up between the Ahrenscheid belonging to Bömighausen and the other part belonging to Rhena.
The following men were "cropped": Johannes Kahlhöfer from Bömighausen and Karl Klein from Rehna, both 27years old.
They went on to the so-called "Helgen Schlade" over the hills aside the Ahrenscheid to the lane which led to Usseln, down through the fields which were sewn with peas, barley, sweet peas and oat. The lane led straight down to that place where a small bridge crosses Neerdar Water by the castle meadows. The lane goes to Welleringhausen and Usseln as well. This place is usually called"At the gallow".Miller Matthias Behle from Bömighausen was cropped.The men from Alleringhausen joined the company....

The signature:
Sic actum ut supra Im fidem Carl Georg Stoecker, Amtmann
Rube Hofgerichts secretarius und Amts Actuarius

Search the Chronicle
Zufallsbilder von Bömighausen