Jump directly:



- A +

Constructing the railway track Korbach – Brilon Wald.

On Apr.1st, 1917 the first train went from Korbach to Brilon Wald, after the following parts had been ready for use: Korbach – Lelbach/Rhena (Jul.1 st ,1914), Brilon Wald – Willingen (Oct.1 st , 1914), Lelbach/ Rhena – Eimelrod (Apr.1 st , 1916) and Eimelrod – Usseln (Aug. 1 st , 1916.)

Workers from the region already found jobs with pick and shovel, and when the project started, more and more workers were needed. Convoys from Bohemia, Serbia and Kroatia were busy. They often had to be content with wages below 25 Pennies. Sometimes the workers struggled. In autumn 1915 prisoners of war were taken to work. They lived in the dancing hall of the village pub Schäfer where they got food as well. In“Witten Bräuke“ was a canteen, too.

Bömighausen just got a stopping place, also important for Alleringhausen and Welleringhausen.

Bömighausen Station
Bömighausen Station

At first this small hall at the stopping point was made of wood, but later it was replaced by a small brick – building. It only was made for passengers, goods were transported from Neerdar station. During the time of inflation the point was partly closed, however, it was opened again after the inhabitants of the three communities had protested several times.

The point was important for workers, pupils, “hamsters” (= hungry people who asked the farmers for food or changed their own property for something to eat or drink.) and other travelling people. It was used until the Second World War had finished.

The pupils had to walk a long way to the stopping point early in the morning. Especially in the winter months these “ walks” were filled with strain and fear in the dark. In our times, school buses take them to school.

When the motorization increased and bus lines were installed, the point was finally closed forever. Even when the “Upland- Train” began to go again in 2003, the point´s importance did no longer endure.

Some historic parts dealing with the “Upland train” (Mein Waldeck Nr. 4,2004).

When the community of Willingen edited makeshift money on Apr. 15 th , 1921, in the picture: a bonus, worth 50 Pennies, they printed a so-called “Linenkerl” on its front. (see photo). (Those men carried linen goods and sold them in richer areas in Westfalia. Their wives had manufactured the raw linen to cloth, towels, etc.) Near the edge there is printed a proverb:

Keen Menske is in der Welt sau bekannt, asse der Willinger Linnenkerl out dem Waldecker Land“.(No one is as well-known as the “Linenkerl” from Waldeck Country.) On the back the community present a symbol of technical progress, the huge railway viaduct, an arcade overcoming Itter Valley with 11 arcs. In 2003 and 2004 it had to be renovated, and the costs were pretty high.

It took longer to connect the Principality of Waldeck with the railroad net than in other German areas, and the Uplands were the last region. To construct the track between Korbach and Usseln cost lots of money, and it turned out that it was extremely difficult to overcome the different heights from 250 meters. Five viaducts had to build up. But besides the workers who came from abroad, many men from the Uplands found jobs, too. The wages were short enough- 47 P / hour- but the traditionally poor Uplandians took the chance to make a little more money in difficult times.

The first ticket from Willingen Station to Brilon had the number 0 001 and was bought by the salesman Heinrich Wilke-Schusterhaus on Oct. 1 st , 1914. He also bought the first ticket No.0001 to Korbach. Both tickets could be seen at the elementary school Willingen for decades as documents presenting a new époque. On April 1 st , 1917 the post coachman´s horn gave its last sound. In the hotel “zur Post” in Usseln people can have a look at the picture which shows this last mail ride.

voucher
voucher
voucher
voucher

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Ways (Lanes, Public Paths) and Roads

Before the constructions of the route Korbach – Brilon and the course Eppe –Bömighausen in the 2 nd half of the 19 th century the village only was connected with Neerdar, Welleringhausen,Alleringhausen, Rhena and Schweinsbühl bý narrow, bumpy gravel roads.The route from Alleringhausen went over the “Westerei”, below the “Barnberg” by the high bank “Unter den Tannen”(pine trees) and continued touching the “Berghof”to Neerdar, over the “Aule”. The way to Rhena went over the “hohe Ufer“to the way to Usseln. About 300m above creek Rhena´s floating into the Neerdar you had to cross the water. If the weather was fine and dry, one could have used the plain way through the “Buh” or even the steep route through the “Krankenborn”. The so-called “Usselnsche Weg” to Korbach passed the “Red Bush”. The narrow road – it could be used by carriage- went between “Werbelscheid” and “Kalten Graben” to “Wächtler-Field”. There it met the old route leading from Korbach over Rhena – Schweinsbühl, Deisfeld, Ottlar, Stormbruch, Bontkirchen, Hoppeke to Brilon. Traditionally the old lanes through the “Strang” and below the “Wächtler” were used to get to Rhena and Schweinsbühl.

Route Korbach – Brilon

An announcement by the Waldeccian Supreme Court of the Principality, section Eisenberg

Mentions on Jan. 31st,1849 three Bömighausen inhabitants. They were mentioned because some land, owned by them was needed.

The list above mentions the owners´names, kind of agricultural using and extension in „Quadratruten“ for the“ state road, 2nd class.

Owners

Neighbours

Kind of Land

Quadratruten

B.Behle Bömighausen

right Christian Schalk, left old route

fertile land

2,55

judge Kahlhöfer

right Heinrich Schalk, left
old route

the same

1,68

teacher Emde

right old route, left
Landstr. V. Benning

grassland

2,20

Very likely this state road was constructed about 1850. By law (from Febr.24 th , 1873) the preparations for the construction of the so-called “Community Connection Route”, which led to Alleringhausen – Eppe started, too. The project was a connection between 2 routes: to Medebach- Korbach and Korbach- Brilon Wald.

The district construction engineer who was responsible for the construction had already worked out two projects, a cheaper and a more expensive one. Bömighausen would not be included into the plan, because the cheaper route would go below the graveyard by the edge of the woods (Ahrenscheid) until the connection point with the state road in a large serpentine. The more expensive project was planned to go through the village, just as it goes now. Although the route Korbach – Usseln above the village would have been a little more advantageous for the connection with Korbach, but the disadvantage was that the road would

only be advantageous for a few inhabitants, those ones who lived by the Arenscheid.

After several conferences and hearings (the community was represented by mayor Chr. Trachte, assistant H. Wilke, magistrates Fr. Trachte, Fr. Behle, Chr. Emde, H Schüttler and Georg Lamm) the responsibles agreed with a route leading through the village.

From the beginning the community had agreed with taking over the indemnities for private ground, however, they refused to pay further money (60 Thaler per year) if there wasn´t built a good road through the village. They also refused payment, if a bypass street would be built.

In Sept.1874 the submission for thr construction works started. The undertakers Franz Raabe and Ignaz Heddergott from Breitenworbis offered the cheapest calculation and got the job.

The track was 4178 m long, from Eppe´s borders, through Bömighausen. The following works were needed: outlet constructions, planishing and other preparations had to be done.

The bridge below Bömighausen and above Alléringhausen was built by bricklayermaster Schemm (Heddinghausen) for 2400 and 2000 Marks. The merchant Leonhardi (Arolsen) delivered iron for 3663 M., the factory owner Köster (Wetterburg) got 855 M. for the installation of the bridge,

The inhabitants of Alleringhausen and Bömighausen transported stones from the quarries. At first they broke the stones in the quarry “am Hagen” above Bömighausen, later the material below Bömighausen was said to be convenient, and a quarry was made in that area, which was nearer, and so the costs for the transport were cheaper. The community saved about 3000 Marks. Altogether Alleringhausen had to pay 20 160 M, Bömighausen 15 880 M., altogether 36 040 M.

Later the state road became Reichs- road No. 251. In 1938 the slope – direction Rhena- was torn down by drilling machines and lorries. The road got a good under construction and was tared. The cobbled pavement went round the curve (today: warehouse of the Römer firm), to the federal street of today.

The Construction of the bridge in Bömighausen
The Construction of the bridge in Bömighausen

In1904 the bridge over the Neerdar was built.

See: „Das Upland“ pge. 201: “The Bömighausen community council decided to span a bridge across Neerdar Creek. This bridge will make the crossing of carriages possible.

The old crossing possibility was often criticized, but the costs made people doubtful. In our days we have also calculate diligently, and , without financial help the project would not be possible. This project will be advanteous for our neighbours, too. If we could replace our school house situated by the sadest place in the village or, at least, could go down into the valley, our children would have an easier way.

The nurse from Rhena has served us very well, and we find the establishment quite charitable.”


 

back

topJump
Search the Chronicle
Zufallsbilder von Bömighausen
topJump