Jump directly:

- A +

The School in Bömighausen Schoolbuilding

Community House (Drawn by Helmut Ullrich)

Built in 1836 as a flat for the village cowherd Building Measures:
and as a storage room for fruit. length: 29,5 feet. width: 19,5 feet


It was used as the first school building height:
Of the community cellar: 6,0 feet
Drawing according to the school inventary 1st floor: 7,5 feet
in Bömighausen in 1864 2nd floor: 7,0 feet
roof: 10,5 feet
The double floor buildung´s cellar was only in the south east. It had a straw roof.
a.) cow stable with cellar.
b.) class room
c.) vestibule
d) foliage stable
e) living room
f) upper vestibule (without windows)
g) magazine

In 1860 the belfry was erected. The building burnt down in 1875.

Inventaryregister of the schoolhouse in Bömighausen. (Aug. 29th 1864)

A ) The schoolhouse was built by the community about 28 years ago (1836), and it was a community house where the cowherd usually lived.

It also was used as a magazine for fruit.

14 years ago (in 1850) the community sentenced the house to a schoolhouse. It stands in the village centre on a hill, northwards. Its front is situated to the south; the house has two floors, the ground floor is 7,5 feet, the upper one is 7 feet high. It is 29,5 feet long and 19, 5 feet wide, and it is constructed as a frame work building, until now it hasn´t got any plaster.

a) accessories:
In front of the house there is a place of 90 feet which can be used, except as an entrance, partly as dung hole, partly as place to pile up firewood.
Eastward there is a garden of 7 Ruthen,75 feet. The former teacher Emde used it as a nursery to grow trees. West of the house there is a garden of 9,05 Ruthen for growing vegetables.

On Apr. b) Borders round the house including accessories:
To the east and north: property of Friedrich Kalhöfer, to the west: public path, to the south: a garden of Christian Schnautz.

c) In the wall or the ground floor, situated to the south east there is a cow stable, exit southward.The stable is 10,5 feet wide, 11,5 feet long and 6 feet high. Additionally there is a cellar, its entrance is reachable from the stable. The cellar is connected by a door and stairs with the kitchen on the first floor.
Both rooms are overlaid with logs.

d) First floor:
The entrance is steep and safe stairs are missing. The housedoor can be locked, there is a key as well.
The vestibule has got a new wooden floor, 11 ½ long and 7 ½ wide; to its right there is the entrance to the classroom being situated to the south east.
The classroom door can be locked.
There are five well made windows situated to the south and east, so enough light comes in.
The classroom is 11 ½ wide, 11 ½ long and 7 ½ feet high; a former sleeping room behind it, was added to the classroom. This added room is 6,10 feet long and 7 feet wide.
To the left there is a good oven being heated from inside. Behind the vestibule, to the north there ist he kitchen. It is 6,10 long and 12,5 feet wide. Inside there is an old fireplace containing an iron plate. The chimney is new.
From the kitchen a door on the left leads to a storage room (6,10 feet long, 7,8 feet wide.)
On the left of the vestibule a foliage stable of 7,8 feet width is established. It is 11,5 feet long, you can enter it from the outside.
e) The second floor is reachable by a stairway of 12 stairs made of oaktree wood. There is a passage above the vestibule with the length of the complete house´s width. Southward there is an opening to let some light come in. It is possible to close this opening by a wooden board and a hook from inside.
The living room is to the passage´s right, above the classroom. To get in a good door (lockable) can be opened. This living room is as large as the classroom and has got a window, Behind the living room you can find a sleeping room (6,10 feet length, 7 feet width), it is without any window.The entrance goes through an unlockable door. This room is situated to the north. The room next to the sleeping room is a 10 feet long and 4,5 feet wide smoke room, the chimney goes through it. (This room was used as storage room for the "magazine fruit". That kind of fruit were apples and pears being able to endure wintertime, maybe there were dried plums or so kept in that room, too.) People can enter this room through a door by the passage. Instead of the window there is a wooden board.
f.)Right from the passage there is a ladder being used to get on the attic. It may be used to keep hay and grain. The roof (10,5 feet high) is covered with straw. The west side of the house is nailed with wooden boards.
g) A belfry is constructed upon the roof and a bell is fastened in it, which is rung by tearing a rope on the upper passage. Now all the rooms are not in use, except the classroom.

B) Areals belonging to the house:
1) The described gardens.
2) One field below the village, situated"an den Tannen", Section III, Nr. 111,1 Morgen, 120 Ruthen, 55 feet large, 1/3 is classified in the III. und 2/3 in der IV. class. Value: zu 1 Thl, 10 Sgr.

C) Teaching utilities and material
1) A school bookcase with lock and key. Interior:
a) Admonition to protect useful animals
b) Algebra book by Mergenfeld
c) Bible Stories, History byAdler
d) Reading Book by Seiler
e) Elementary School- Laws by Curtze
f) Book of Hymns by Hahn
g) some old,no longer useful maps

2) Three Subsellians, still in good condition, + 4 glasses.
3) Two blackboards, one old and a new one.
4) A"Wandfibel" (= a demonstration poster to hang on the wall) by Högters, bought this year.
5) A class book and a book where the teacher has to note his lesson subjects.
6) A teacher´s chair.

Application to build the community house ( school, July 10th, 1880)
The community of Bömighausen has decided to build a community house outside the village on an areal , 4 meters away from the edge of Brilon Street. It should be erected as a frame work house, the foundation walls and the outer walls should be made of natural stones.

The west side is proposed to be covered with wooden boards to protect it from the influence of the weather and the roof is planned to be covered with hollow tiles, surrounded with slate.
I add construction drawings and general plan and ask the honorable commission to permit the building construction within a short time, because the the construction will have to get started in 14 days, otherwise the insurance money for the old school house which was burnt down will not be given to the community .
Bömighausen, July 10th,1880. C. Trachte, Mayor.

On Oct.17th, 1880 the magistrate makes to know that the community is not yet ready to get all the money being necessary to build the new school house, so the community council decides to take a credit of 3000 marks to 6 percent from the Kreissparkasse (name of the bank, District Bank) .

The preview plan (18180) mentions the following costs ( in Marks), excluding money for transportation matters which are to be done by the community :

Soil work 25,03, bricklayer 1464, 82, carpenter , incl. material 1102, 34,
joiner 683,89, blacksmith + locksmith 131,20 , roofer 341,97, ovens, fireplace, cowcrib and additional costs 300, 70.
Altogether : 4050 Marks, Corbach, Jul.18th, 18180 , signature: The school house burnt down in 1875 (Hermann Schulze´s house´s current place).
Lessons were taught in the house of the widow Marie Schnautz, called Jürgens (Chr. Lamm), until the new schoolhouse was erected.
However, this house burnt down, too on Oct. 10th, 1880.
From now on the magistrates and their representatives looked for a new construction of the school building, however it appears that there was a long way from planning until creation, even in those times. On April 24th,1897 the teacher, Mr. Theesfeld, proposed to construct another room in the gabel. On May 11th, 1897 the magistrates decide to accept these plans according to the Construction Office´s plans. So a room is built in the eastern gabel.
Mr. Karl Emde agrees with co-using his well, because the school hasn´t got a well of its own.
Once again the teacher proposes the digging of an own school well, and in 1899 the decision of digging a well followed.

In 1928 the subject" new school building" is discussed again. The old school became too small. On August 31th 1928 one can read that the"State of Waldeck" agrees with taking responsibility for the interest of a 10.000 Marks loan. The next step is the magistrates´ decision to take this credit.

The public setting out the for sale of the old school building seemed to be a little strange. The community report tells us that Heinrich Lamm had offered 8000 Marks for the building with the area next to it. This was the highest offer. The magistrates announce that there was needed a period until Dec.22nd 1928 to think about it. By this time further and higher offers came in. Heinrich Lamm also gave another offer which included 400 Marks more, and he got the building together with the surrounding ground for 8400 Marks at last, however, there was the condition, that his father Christian Lamm, and his father-in-law would take over the guarantee. This deal was made. We learnt from older citizens that this object later was bought by Wilhelm Schäfer. The new school building was laid out by the district architect Rappold and in 1929 pupils and teacher went in. Before 1933 the teacher´s flat had 7 rooms with 93 square metres, 6 rooms could be heated. The rent cost 348 RM per year, and a garden (4a) also could be used.

The new school got a belfry again, and the bell having been situated in a belfry which had been part of the old school´s south, found its new place there. About 1860 the bell had been bought. It called the inhabitants for morning prayer and at seven o´clock it rang again to remind them of working in the fields, at eleven it rang for the usual break at noon, when they had to feed the horses, too, and at 6 o´clock it rang for the time of rest.

When the bell had rung in the evening the teachers strictly paid attention to the children whether or not they went to their parents´houses. The bell also rang day and night, when there were dangerous situations, e.g. it made people help when a fire had broken out.
The bell´s sound also accompanied the people of Bömighausen for their "Last Way". Then, a special sound could be heard, until today they call it "kleppen" (a kind of clapping against the bell). Today the bell found its place high up in the new school´s belfry, and its sound can be heard over the quiet valley. Since a long time, ringing by day has disappeared, and when there are serious dangerous situations a siren´s hooting is heard.
Today the bell rings for service in the "Resurrection Chapel" (built 1970/71), and at funerals it is the bell´s sound that reminds you of instability the of human life. So the sound of the bell may be taken as the last salute.
Fritz Koch who was the last teacher (from 1955) continued teaching in Korbach until he got pensioned. Today the elementary pupils go by bus to the elementary school in Rhena, the older ones go to the MPS Willingen. This school became a Cooperating Comprehensive School in 2004/05.
In 1971/72 the school building was no longer a school and stood for sale. The Dominik Family bought and renovated it from the bottom, inclusively a brandnew heating.
Today, the building with its small well-cared flower garden in front of the entrance and a small fountain well looks like a jewel.